Monday, March 28, 2016

Beets with Ginger, Turmeric and Chili


The concept of love intrigues me. It seems simple yet complicated. Hard to define. I am not sure if it’s an emotion, attitude, feeling or some sort of attraction. It can bring in joy and break your heart, make you laugh and cry, bring in peace and chaos all that same time.  Love can be tangible, yet hard to hold on to. It can be cherished, yet may not be everlasting. It can be experienced, not defined. It's an emotion with different shades. Experiencing the different shades is what makes life beautiful. 


Love can also be a bitter sweet experience just like beets. I used to hate beets as a kid. Everything about the brown creepy bulbs and the red color threw me off. The first time I had a craving for beets was during my pregnancy. I was craving for spicy beets. I came up with this easy fool proof recipe for spicy beets with ginger, turmeric and chili powder. The only downside may be that it takes a while - a good 20 -25 minutes to cook.



2 small-medium sized beets, peeled and cubed in to small pieces 

1 tablespoon grated ginger 

1 tablespoon red chili powder 

1 teaspoon turmeric 

1 table spoon cumin seeds 

Salt 


Wash the beets, peel and cube them.

Heat a pan (preferably with a lid) with 1 tablespoon olive oil. 

When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and ginger. Let them roast for couple of seconds until you can smell the smoky cumin and ginger. 

Add the turmeric powder and chili powder. Stir everything together - wait for a minute and then add the beets. 

Mix the beets throughly with the spices. 

Close the lid, turn the heat to medium and let them cook with occasional stirring. 

I use a fork to test if the beets are cooked through. 

The last 5 minutes, open the lid and let the moisture evaporate. The dish has a sweetness of beets,the spice of chili powder and the occasional explosive taste of ginger. 








The beauty of love lies in  embracing imperfections. I believe beets are not perfect or ideal vegetables. They are messy, tough and need lots of love. when I saw the bowl with left over stains of red from the beet and yellow from turmeric- I saw the imperfections, the messiness and absolutely loved it.