Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Green eggs and Spinach

There is something magical about space. We all need it. We need space in a relationship, living space and in general no one likes the feeling of being congested. Having your own little space brings in a sense of solitude, peace and serenity.  Sometimes it may not be a tangible space; it may be something as intangible as being lost in your own thoughts. There are times when I escape from my day and sneak back in to the house when no one is around to experience the sound of silence; the kind of intangible space for myself. 

There were times when I felt like I was following the crowd and being a part of the crowd because that was what was expected of me. Not to say that I dislike being among people, but sometimes it’s necessary to step away from the crowd and collect my own thoughts.

I was told at times that I am wasting my time sitting in solitude, I beg to defer. I am constantly running around, and it’s imperative that I sit still for some time and ponder over my thoughts. I was afraid if I didn’t I might lose it completely my marbles and all. I needed that space for myself to ponder. Often the thoughts that cross my mind during these periods of solitude are quite dreamy and irrespective of them turning in to realities, I believe one should always find the time and space for dreamy thoughts.

I thought of this dish during one of those dreamy moments. The creamy spinach sauce with bold spicy fried eggs reminds of how every ingredient in this dish has its own culinary space, yet they all come together in a dreamy way making this totally irresistible.

Ingredients:

4-5 cups of loosely packed spinach 

1 cup of coconut milk 

1 cup of water

1 medium sized red onion, peeled and cut in chunks or two small red onions

2 cloves of garlic 

2 green chilies

6 boiled eggs 

Spices

1 tsp of cumin seeds 

1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper

1 tbsp of coriander powder

2 tsp of turmeric (1 tsp for spinach mix and one tsp for frying the boiled eggs)

salt 

and 2 tsp of ghee or 1 tbsp of olive oil. Ghee is nothing but clarified butter and adds a layer of richness to the dish, you can substitute it with olive oil and the dish is still irresistible.  


To begin with bring the water to boil and add the 6 eggs and let them boil. 

While the eggs are boiling, in a food processor or a blender: add the spinach, onion, green chilies, garlic and the coconut milk/water and blend it to a smooth paste.


Heat a pan with either the oil or ghee; add the cumin seeds and turmeric. 
Let the seeds and turmeric roast for 3-4 seconds and then add the blended spinach mix.
Add the coriander powder and salt, stir it and let it boil. 



After 3-4 minutes, little pockets of bubbles start forming and let it boil for good 7-8 minutes after that. Once the mix starts to thicken (you can see some of the spinach mix sticking to the side of the pan), turn off the heat. 



Now, the eggs should have been boiled. Peel the eggs and fry them in a pan with 1 tsp of turmeric and 1 tsp of oil or ghee. 



Let the eggs roast in the hot oil and turmeric for a minute, until they are crispy on the outside. 



Now, add the fried eggs along with the leftover oil/turmeric in to the cooked spinach mix and stir it well. 



The dish is done!