Monday, February 23, 2015

Orange Pancakes with Turmeric

As a parent I used to be very predictable. I went about the day; following the mundane chores which revolved around making sure he is well fed and taken care. The taken care of part was the text book example sorts; making sure he does not end up with broken bones/arms or hurt himself in any shape or form. 

One day I realized, I need to snap of out this. I have to enjoy my role as a parent and not just be his safety net (there is nothing wrong with it, but I wanted more for us). If I enjoy being a parent, he will enjoy growing up with me. 



I decided to let go of myself and enjoy the "being parent" part rather than stress about it. I had no qualms about acting silly, going down the slide, getting dirty, playing in mud, not getting upset when he spilled the milk, make a mess with him, tell him funny stores - all the while being a parent. 

Many years later, one day we got home from what was a rather long day for me and he pops the question " Mama do you think when I grow up I will be a good parent?" I had no strength left in me to respond to that or even contemplate on why he is asking that question. I snapped and told him" How about you focus on being a good kid for now?".

He continued -"Mama you still remember what it's like to be a child and that's what makes you a great parent. I want to be like you". I felt all warm and fuzzy. 














One of the crazy things we do together is to cook. Cook without inhibitions (sometimes we do end up with not so edible outcomes), but the point is to teach him to never be afraid of taking a risk - be it life or food. 

We were going through a cold spell that lasted many cough syrups and nasal sprays. I came up with the idea of incorporating cold remedies like - orange juice, honey and Turmeric in to his favorite pancakes. 

When I proposed the idea to him - He declared I have lost it all together, but will give it a try. 
That's all the motivation I needed. 


2 Tablespoons of melted butter 

1 Egg 

1 tsp turmeric 

1 tsp vanilla essence 

1/3 cup Orange juice 

2 Table spoons sugar 

2 Table spoons Honey 

1/2 cup of All-purpose flour 




In a bowl melt the butter and whisk the egg and the melted butter together. 

To this add the sugar and whisk them together.

Then, add the Orange juice, honey, Vanilla essence and the Turmeric

Whisk them for about a minute or so. 

Slowly add the 1/2 cup of flour and whisk the mixture, until it's smooth and has the consistency of a pancake batter. 

Heat a pan or a griddle and make the pancakes. 

This makes around 6 medium sized pancakes. 

Serve them with a drizzle of honey on top. 






 The orange juice adds the tangy flavor which is complemented by the sweetness of honey and sugar, just like being a parent and acting silly at the same time. The Turmeric in this dish does not add to the taste. It makes its presence felt by adding a more yellowish tinge. But the fact that it is in there sort of reassures crazy me. He enjoyed them and I felt happy that I am feeding him healthy pancakes and curing his cold.